Find it! Printers with duplexing traysTo be sure you've got an efficient machine, look for one that duplexes at least 80 percent as fast it performs one-sided printing. Then, be sure to set your printer to default to duplex mode so that most of your copying comes out this way.
Purchasing a double-siding printer helps you go green because
- It'll cut paper consumption, which protects forests.
- Double-sided copies require less energy, so fewer greenhouse gases will be emitted.
Volusia County, Florida recently upgraded 287 copiers to ENERGY STAR models with duplexing trays. Though these machines were costlier than conventional models, the extra costs were recouped through double-siding and energy-saving measures within one to two years.
- US Department of Energy - How to Buy an Energy-Efficient Printer: Cost-Effectiveness Example
- GreenBiz.com - Taking the Wrinkles out of Paper Recycling: In One Bin, Out the Other
- The Federal Network for Sustainability - Greening Federal Copier Paper: How much can we reduce the use of copier paper?
- Illinois PIRG Education Fund's Green Communities Handbook - Purchase Energy Efficient Equipment and Appliances