Millions — mostly women and children–walk 6K every day for water.
Billions have no safe place to go to the toilet. Lack of water and sanitation traps people in a vicious circle of disease, lost life chances and poverty.
On World Water Day 2012 thousands of people across the globe will walk together for 6 kilometres to demand an end to this crisis. The walks will build on the success of the World’s Longest Toilet Queue in 2010, and demand that politicians in the North and the South keep their promises and step up their efforts to ensure water and sanitation for all people, everywhere.
Help spread the word!
- Watch the movies FLOW and Blue Gold –two award-winning documentaries about the global water crisis. My son was 8 when we shared FLOW with him and it really made an impact. Have a screening at your home!
- Email your member of congress and ask that they step up their efforts to address the water and sanitation crisis, as well as other issues that threaten children’s survival in poor countries.
- Use your social network to spread the word. If you’re on facebook, join myEARTH360′s Walks for Water (click on Events in left corner of the facebook page) and invite your friends. If you’re on twitter, follow @WalksforWater and @myEARTH360. Join us every Wednesday to tweet about world water crisis issues–be sure to use the hashmark #waterwednesday and/or #WorldWaterDay to help earn us Trending Topic status and to make @ tweets viral. Simply re-tweet our tweets or come up with some of your own.
- Purchase Linda Loudermilk’s limited edition Water is a Human Right Mission Wear –a generous portion of sales will be donated to organizations that support the global water crisis.
- Donate to your fave organization that helps fight the global water and sanitation crisis. I love The Ryans Well and Abundant Water.