I’d like to do something for the environment for the 40 days of Lent. Any suggestions?
-Matt, Worcester, MA
Forty days is a good chunk of time to develop a habit, so it’s a great opportunity to try out any of a number of small things that could wind up becoming your new norm — and making a big difference long term. Here are our top ten simple, everyday changes we recommend trying out:
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Avoid disposable cups — this might mean bringing your reusable mug to the coffee shop, but it’s worth it.
- Turn off the lights in every room but the one you’re in.
- Use your reusable grocery bags!
- Rinse out your recyclables before tossing them in the bin.
- Recycle the oft-forgotten items, like shampoo bottles and straw papers.
- Lower your thermostat a few degrees (and invest in layering instead).
- Eat all your leftovers.
- Buy local food and goods.
- Go vegetarian for one day of the week.