Updated on 04/17/19
Here's our top 10 ways to celebrate Earth Day:
10. Spend a few minutes outside to decompress by taking three breaths. Be present to the sounds and sights the world has to offer, be it your own backyard or nearby park.
9. Spend time in your garden truly appreciating the efforts you have put forth, or visit your local farmer’s market to pick out your own fruits and vegetables. In either case, farm-to-table is kinder to the environment, as well as to your body and soul.
8. Take a walk in a different park or take a walk with a neighbor around your block. If you see any litter, pick it up and dispose of it properly, to make the scenery even more enjoyable.
7. As the days get longer, turn off the lights and enjoy the natural lighting in your home. And of course, turn the lights off when you leave.
6. Think pre-cycling as well as recycling. Is there another option with less packaging? Can the item or packaging materials then be recycled? Make sure you know all the items your city will and will not accept in the recycle.
5. Celebrate freedom from plastic bags with a reusable tote. In fact, celebrate freedom from any disposable item when you can bring or use a reusable instead, such as water bottles, coffee mugs, utensils, cloth napkins, and dishtowels.
4. Be thankful for the abundance of clean water available at your fingertips compared with so many across the world. Conserve your usage by taking shorter showers and turning off the faucet while doing the dishes or brushing your teeth.
3. Grab a blanket and/or lawn chair and watch the clouds go by on a sunny day. Do this with a child for added imagination and fun. Take in the warmth and be witness to the power of the sun.
2. Plant a tree in someone’s honor or memory.
And the Number 1 way to celebrate Earth Day…
Attend a local Earth Day event in your community to connect with your neighbors, learn new eco-living practices, and share your knowledge, to help all of us be kinder to our environment through renewed and resourceful living!